Friday, March 19, 2010

Happy Graduation!


My brother Steven Kade graduated from this life 19 years ago on March 17th. He died of SIDS when he was 6 months old and I was about 3. This year thinking of that day seemed really different than all of the other years, I have found myself remembering him and thinking of the things I do remember. Many people would think that 3 year olds can't really remember much about their childhood. But I definitely remember the morning that he died, I can recall the overwhelming sadness that came upon my mom. I remember trying to comfort her and telling her not to cry because my brother and I were still there. I will never forget the strength of my father as he blessed my lifeless little brother. I remember being sung to every night by my sweet great-aunt Bev (I still think that is how I know so many primary songs). I couldn't help but reflect on that day and remember all of the memories. I find myself wondering what he would be like, what he would sound like and the sweet personality that he would have. My mom has often said that he seemed very close to Heaven for the short time he was alive. Like he was telling her what was going on over there. The events of that day have made me think a lot about what I really believe, do we really live after we die, am I ever going to see him again, really? I believe 100% that it is true and that I will see that sweet baby again and when I do that I won't be able hold in the excitement and the tears. I cannot believe the amazing joy that my mom will have to be able to hold him again, for him to hold her fingers with his chunky little hands and to raise him completely.. finally! For our family to finally be complete. I know that Kade totally involved in our lives today can't wait for us to join him. I think the experience of losing a child has made my parent's even stronger and more dedicated to the church and to the gospel and to raising a righteous family that wants to be together forever. They have never once doubted that God is in control of their lives and that my sweet little brother Kade is with him. They give me great strength and encouragement and have always taught me to rely on the the Lord when the hard times come my way and I am forever grateful for that. Travis and I have decided that one day when we have a son we would like to name him after Kade and hope that he will be able to carry and live up to that name with confidence, love and respect.

10 comments:

The Smoots said...

Wow! Amanda that was powerful! You are an amazing writer, and what an amazing story. I never knew you had a little brother that had passed away. There is no doubt in my mind that he is still with you and your family today! Your amazing girl! We need to do lunch, its been to long since I have seen you!

Bain Becomes a Master said...

Amanda, this is beautifully written! I believe everything you say as well. I miss you, Da!

Ben and Lindsay said...

I love you! That brought tears to my eyes! You are amazing, your whole family is, I have always looked up to your parents (they were my second parents!) I have always looked up to you as well. You have an amazing heart and a strong testimony. I know we always say lets do lunch..but let's really plan in. Like next week I don't work Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday..Let me know! I love you Lashy Pashy!

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

I didn't know that - and I had tears in my eyes as I read. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a child, but it's people like you and your family who are the examples of strengh that are who everyone else looks up to. Thnaks for sharing..

Marcie said...

I never knew you lost a brother, I can not even imagine what it would be like to lose a child. You have such a beautiful testimony, and I KNOW that your family will be with him again someday FOREVER.

Michelle said...

What a sweet post Amanda! It brought me to tears to read about it. I can't imagine losing a child, but I am grateful that we have the knowlege of the Plan of Salvation. You are amazing girl! And I know you are going to be an amazing mother!

MomMitchell said...

You are amazing to me Amanda!!! And I am grateful EVERYDAY that you are a part of my family. What strenght you have and your testimony of His plan is what gives you that strenght to go on everyday and live HIS gospel. How blessed we are to know this plan and know we are Families Forever. Love you so much, so grateful you picked TRAV!!!

Amanda B. said...

I'm not sure which effected me more- your faith inspiring words- or your mother-in-laws sweet praise of you in the above comment. Both are so tender. Thanks for sharing.

Rebecca said...

Amanda, What a beautiful post, your story is such a wonderful aknowledgment of your mom's pain. Glad that as the years have passed you have not forgotten your brother. I am sure he is proud and waiting on the other side for your family. Thanks for sharing your faith, you are truly an amazing person!

Anonymous said...

I will never forget that morning either Amanda! I am not sure why Gerald and I were there that morning but my life will be forever changed because of it. My testimony is strengthened all the time as I reflect on the details of that morning all those years ago. I have shared my experience many a time with others in the same situation. Thanks for sharing! Love you, Aunt Leasa