Tuesday, March 24, 2009

ROAD TRIP- HOLBROOK ARIZONA
Last week Trav had spring break and I took a few days off from work and we headed to Arizona. My grandparents live in a small town called Holbrook and we couldn't think of a better place to hang out and relax for cheap! Here are the days broken down with a few pictures and stories.

Day 1- We both went to work and decided to leave after I got home from work. I felt like a little kid, I couldn't get off work soon enough. I was so excited to have a vacation. We drove to Moab which is about half way and stayed in the cozy Inca Inn. We heard Semis driving by on main street all night but we got a good deal so it worked!



Day 2- We go up fairly early and had a good ole continental breakfast and headed on our way! Its about 4 1/2 more hours to my grandparent's house from there. We had a great time listening to the ipod and picking out rock structures ( that was mostly Trav :) ). A lot of the Drive is on the Navajo Indian Reservation and many times we had to make sure we hadn't landed on Mars or even Iraq! There is nothing out there! We finally got there and enjoyed a great night of chatting and some awesome food. My grandma had a huge meal prepared for us, what a lady!

Day 3- Today we went to Taylor which is another small town about 30 minutes away from my granparents house. My brother Kade is buried there and we were able to go see his grave at the cemetery. It was pretty neat, we happened to be there 18 years after he was buried almost to the date. I thought about him a lot this week, wondering what he would be like and how great it will be to see him again. I was so happy that Trav finally got to see Taylor and was able to connect to Kade in a small way. We saw the temple in Snowflake, which is the town next to Taylor. We also got to see where my Grandpa grew up and heard many stories of ancestors that lived there as well. We also got to play on my grandparents land where they will hopefully have a home soon. They have an artic cat, kinda like a four wheeler and Trav had a great time cruising around in that!
Day 4- Today was a pretty chill day, many of the hours were spent listening to my grandma's stories and theories on life. She is a riot! We also went to Show Low where we ate at a Chinese buffet and we were able to see some other family that lives there. All of the main stores and restaurants are outside of Holbrook so lots of our time was spent in the car driving to various places. We loved listening to my grandparents interact with each other, they are hilarious! That night we watched As Good As It Gets and listened to my grandma laugh her guts out, it doesn't get any better than that! Trav also loved playing with thier dog cracker, he kept him pretty busy.Day 5- Once again we slept in and ate a hot breakfast, which my grandma made us every morning. We sat on the deck and just chatted and then went to another nearby town called Winslow and went to Wal-Mart and had some pizza at a buffet (again). Driving to Wal-mart is quite the trip, its not just around the corner, but 30 miles away. We then went over to my uncle and aunts house and chatted with them for a while. It was good to see everyone, I think its been about 3 years since I saw them. We went home and had a bowl of ice cream and watched political tv. My grandparents really get into politics and it was a riot to watch them yell and swear at the tv!
Day 6- Left early and drove the 9 1/2 hours home. When we got home we kinda wanted to turn around and head back. They live such a relaxed life and we loved being there. Trav and I decided that we want to grow up to be retired! It's the best!

I am so glad we took the time to go to Arizona. My grandparents are amazing people, so dedicated to the gospel and their family. They spoiled us and we know they would do anything for us! I can't help but love life when I am around them. They have welcomed Travis so well and I think he loved being around them too. It was fun to show him where they live and more what they are like! Sorry if this was long and boring, its become my way of journaling. This is a trip worth remembering. We needed the time to relax and enjoy my grandparents!

Apparently we didn't even get any pictures of them this trip! Here is one from our wedding.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Sounds like you guys had a blast! I took a trip down to St. Johns a few years ago and it was a long boring drive on the reservation. I was sure I was just going in one big circle and was never going to get out of there! Oh and then on the way back we missed our turn off and almost made it to Holbrook by mistake! haha Good times!

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

FUN trip - oh, and did you know I was born in Winslow AZ??? My parents lived there for a few years- I know, it is a pretty HAPPENING town:) I am glad you guys got to go on such a fun road trip!

Todd and Melissa said...

Wow! Sounds like a super fun trip. I think we're ready to retire too. Isn't it the life?

lisa said...

Glad you guys got to get away for a while--you need trips like that! I love your Grandparents! And how sweet of your grandma to make you breakfast every morning!!!

Ben and Lindsay said...

oh how fun! Your grandparents are so cute! I remember going with your family to visit them, that was good times! Remember the ride home? I am sure you do, i wont post here for your embarrasment reasons! I love you Lashey Pashey! Thanks for the great memories!

Bain Becomes a Master said...

I miss you. I am very jealous you were in AZ last week...

Mitchell Family said...

hey look, i'm famous! actually really one of my something or others founded holbrook arizona. looks like you had fun, but with trav to keep you entertained in the drive and cracker, you really can't go wrong!!

Megan said...

I love reading your blog. I think you and Fuds are about as cute as they come. Sure do love you guys.