Thursday, December 24, 2009

I think of Mary..

Christmas time has always been a special time for me, but this year it has been more of a time of reflection. This year as we celebrate the birth of our Savior, I think of Mary. I have thought of her more this year than ever before. I don't know if it is the stage of life I am in or that I am more mature, but it has given Christmas a different meaning to me this year.

I have thought of the night that the Angel Gabriel came to Mary, I have thought about what she might be thinking and feeling. I can't even imagine, to be told that you are favored among women, that you would be carrying the Son of God. I think I would be so overwhelmed and feel so inadequate, that I wasn't good enough. Never once did she doubt God or wonder. I have thought about the courage it took to tell Joseph what she had heard, and to stand by it. What would have it been like to know you are having such a special child, and to give birth in a stable. I think of Mary as she watched her son, the Savior of the World heal the sick, administer to the blind, to perform the most amazing miracles. But most of all I can't imagine what it would be like to watch your son be crucified. Yes he was the Savior but he was also her Son. This Christmas I think of Mary's strength and courage. She was a favored woman, a chosen woman.

This past year I have tried to prepare myself as much as I can to have my turn to be a mother. But it just hit me this season, to be like Mary. To strive to live in a way that she did to prepare myself not to raise the Son of God, but to raise the children of God. What an amazing example that I have to look up to and to strive my whole life to be like.

Merry Christmas to everyone we love! Let's remember to keep Christ in our Christmas and throughout the year!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

You are amazing Amanda! Thanks for your post about Mary. It really touched me. You are going to be such a great mom! You are far more prepared than I was! your children will be so lucky to have you as their mother! Love ya girl~Merry Christmas!

Ben and Lindsay said...

what a beautiful post! thanks for sharing! you will be an amazing mother! baby coming soon?

Todd and Melissa said...

Thanks for this great reminder Amanda! You're totally right and I love ya! What a sweetheart you are. Glad we got to see you today. :)

Rebecca said...

What an amazing and inspiring post, thanks for bringing things full circle. You will be an awesome mom!

lisa said...

What a sweet post Amanda. We watched the Nativity on Christmas Eve and Beth had us play "Breath of Heaven" by Amy Grant during the movie and it was so sweet. That song always makes me think of Mary and her story. I cry every time I hear it! You are an amazing person and I know you'll be a fantastic mama!! Merry Christmas!

Amanda B. said...

Loved all your thoughts. I always find myself feeling reflective at Christmas, and it seems like every year something/someone different from the Christmas story stands out to me (sheperds, angels, etc.) Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Mary. They were beautiful.

MomMitchell said...

You are so amazing!!! I loved your thoughts and feelings about Mary. I have thought about her many times and wondered how she did all she did, but she was chosen and prepared, just as you are and will be when you become a mother. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We did have a great Christmas as a family, and are so BLESSED.

Mitchell Family said...

what an amazing perspective we have as women of this world. i think we are the lucky ones really, to have the opportunity to become mothers...your are prepared and your children as well to come into your life at a specific time for their specific purpose...motherhood...truly, there is nothing like it. how gratful we all should be for this gift...many take it far too lightly. your awesome and you know how much our family loves you.